Monday, March 5, 2012

Diana Cazier Shares: Deseret News Articles: How Will I Die?

Diana Cazier

                Have you ever said something and then thought back on it and wondered what you were thinking when that came out?  Well, I looked back on my story from last week and realized that you didn’t have the back story on it.  The story was told by Grandpa himself who was very much alive and enjoying his grandson.  I hope that I didn’t offend anyone.  At least no one called me out on it.
                This week in the Deseret News  there was a series called “Life’s Final Journey”, this was a five-part series which started last Sunday.  It can still be accessed on the Deseret News website.    I truly wish everyone would read it.  Even with the amount of time I have spent the last while thinking about these issues I learned things and had other things reinforced.
                The first article was entitled How will I die: Preparing your family, directing your care.  All five articles address preparing your family and yourself before the final decisions need to be made.  This first one discusses advance directives and making sure that your loved ones know what your wishes are so that they have something on which to base their decisions should the need arise.
                How will I die: Finding hope in hospice was the second article.  This article supported much of what we have discussed in this forum.  The point I wish to bring up here is the great benefit to be found in hospice.  “We're not going to give up hope, we're going to change the focus of hope.”  This statement had a great impact on me.  End of life care should begin earlier than the very end.  As a process, hospice can truly impact lives.
                The third article entitled How will I die: A good life, a young death emphasizes that death comes to not only those that have lived a long life.
                The fourth and fifth articles entitled Negotiating death’s details and The high cost of death deal with the decisions that come with the end of life.  Pre-planning can go a long way to avoid problems in the end.
                This note was included at the end of each article:
Editor's Note: Advance directive and end-of-life planning is an important and neglected topic. Families often shy away and when crisis comes, relatives are left trying to guess what someone would have wanted. This week, Deseret Media Companies have joined a coalition to raise awareness about the issue, in conjunction with passage of SCR2, which asks Utahns to consider making their own decisions, appointing an agent and having those tricky conversations.
I would like to encourage everyone to read these articles.  There is also a link above to download advance directive forms that can help you make decisions about the health care you would like to receive.

Deseret news link: 

No comments:

Post a Comment