Monday, April 9, 2012

Are You A Caregiver?

If I had a nickle for every time I have found myself visiting with someone who is at the point of burnout when they didn't even consider themselves a caregiver, I would be able to buy a new pair of shoes.  Cute shoes!! So, in the interest of education, and my ever growing shoe collection, here are some hints for those of you who may be in denial about the part they play in their loved ones lives...

Do you do any of the following for your loved one:


Clean their home.
Prepare meals for loved one.
Take loved one grocery shopping.
Assist with grooming, showering, dressing, etc..
Pay their bills and/or manage finances for them.
Manage their medications.
Take to appointments such as medical or social.

 If you found yourself answering YES to more than one of the above, you are quite possibly a caregiver.  Give yourself a hug while repeating the phrase, "It's alright. I'm going to be alright." 

In all seriousness, you need to keep in mind that you are not alone.  In fact, there are more than 69 MILLION caregivers in the United States.  That's approximately one third of the US population serving 20 hours per week providing cares for an aging loved one. With the Baby Boomer generation, that number is set to increase by leaps and bounds.

More than ever, we need to educate ourselves about the role of caregivers so we will be prepared when our turn comes around....and it will! 
I invite you to explore our blog, find articles and resources that can help and PASS IT ON!  

If you have an article or idea that you think would be valuable for others, please contact me, Gena,  at 801-623-9595.

1 comment:

  1. I became a caregiver at the age of twenty-nine while caring for my father as he wasted away from pancreatic cancer. Since then, I have cared for more than one family member as they suffered through a terminal illness or battled cancer to survive. I just thought it was what family did. Little did I know it would take so much out of me. What I know for sure, caregiving is the most loving as well as rewarding thing one can do for another. AND, caregivers need care also. Don't ever hesitate to ask others for help, not only for the person being cared for but for yourself.

    ReplyDelete