Monday, June 4, 2012

Diary of a Diabetic's Wife: What Happens If I Die Before He Does?


 Don't miss an entry from Chris Lee Pyne!  Check the blog weekly and click on her tab, Diary of a Diabetic's Wife for her entire story.  Please visit her support group at Diabetes Support Group for Spouses for ongoing dialogue and support.


Roger and Chris Pyne


I'd like to blog about feelings that I have on a regular basis. Thoughts that go through my mind such as: What happens if I die before him? Who will take care of him? Who will love him and be there for him when he's suffering from the some of the inevitable diabetes complications? If he dies before me how will I handle life when he's gone? Who will be there to help and support me?

I hate thinking those thoughts! I want to deny them and pretend they aren't going to happen. I'm frightened by it. I always wonder what the future holds for us and pray that we'll both be able to handle the cards that have been dealt us.

I know Roger has similar thoughts because he's expressed them to me before. It must be hard feeling like you're a burden to someone and that there isn't anything you can do about it. One thing that we've done as a couple is to get some things in order so that when we pass away it won't be quite as hard. We bought our burial plots, we have a pre-paid funeral plan. We feel so much more comfortable knowing that this has been done. I'm not sure what else we can do to prepare us for the future but when we figure them out we'll do it just so that we don't have to be a burden to anyone.

I love this quote:
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

I know Roger is being blessed even though there are days in which he feels he isn't. I know he realizes that things could be worse too. But together we'll take what God has given us and be grateful for each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment