Monday, July 30, 2012

Hail To The Caregiver!

 I have been MIA for the last two weeks and want to share my Crash Course in Caregiving.  On July 14th, My sweetheart, Kirk Bertelsen, was riding his dirt bike at the Sand Dunes by Delta, Utah, when he had a fluke accident and broke his back.  He was life-flighted to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center where he quickly became their "Miracle", and mine.



   That is him, on the left, exiting the bike in the crash. Our son-in-law had his Go-Cam on his bike and was riding behind Kirk when he got this picture.  The crash was not anything to shout about, in fact, Kirk says he has hundreds of crashes that were much worse than this. (And this is supposed to bring a wife comfort?)
   Kirk suffered a "burst" fracture on his 12th thoracic vertebrae. If you think of a windshield getting hit by a rock and shattering, that is what happened to the vertebrae.  As it shattered, pieces of it pushed into his spinal column, occluding it by 50%.  This is why he could not feel anything from his belly button down for a while.  No feeling, no movement.
   Once at UVRMC, the extent of the injuries became clear and surgery was scheduled for the next morning.  Dr. Paul Gardner was our surgeon and miracle worker.  After a nine hour surgery he came to give us the wonderful news that everything went the best possible way it could.  The physical responses in Kirk's legs even improved during the surgery!
Kirk taking his first steps after surgery.

  Over the next few weeks we have spent more than our share of time in Neuro-Trauma ICU and a few days on the fourth floor before finally bringing him home last Monday. He is walking.  He relishes the fact that he can feel every little pain in his legs and feet.  He knows he has been given a miracle and he has embraced it fully.
   I was scared, but confident, about bringing him home and caring for him.  After all, I do facilitate 3 Caregiver Support Groups each month and I have taught the UCARE classes several times.  How hard could this be? I had every piece of equipment I have extolled the virtues of to caregivers, I had a supportive team of family and friends to help, I even had every Orem City Firefighter, Paramedic and Police Officer at my side for ANYTHING that I may need (thank goodness for the brotherhood) Really, what could go wrong?
   Let's just say that humble pie is delicious.  Let's also say, "Dear Caregivers coming to my classes, I love you, and understand MUCH more of what you are going through on a daily basis." As Kirk and I have talked about the "why's" of this situation, we have discussed how much more I have learned and can share with caregivers.  We are certain this is not the only lesson we will take away from this, but I know how important it will be for those in the trenches of caregiving.  It is one of the most difficult, stressful, back-breaking, beautiful, wonderful things.  Hail to the Caregivers!!

*If you would like to know more on Kirk's story you can go to 



No comments:

Post a Comment