Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Diary of a Diabetic's Wife: Diabetic Complications


 Please check out Chris'  Diabetes Support Group for Spouses page on Facebook for ongoing conversation about diabetes.

*The pictures at the end of this post are very graphic and very real.  



This blog is on the reality of complications that come along with diabetes. It's not meant to scare anyone or gross anyone out. Only to inform and to wake those up that won’t take diabetes seriously. I guess I've been spoiled with having a husband who takes his diabetes very seriously so he hasn't encountered certain complications, yet.
   Over the years, working in the health care field, I’ve seen a woman come in who has been a non-compliant diabetic, not by her choice, but because she doesn't have health insurance. She is a single mom, works two jobs and goes to school. She's a hard working woman and takes care of everyone but herself.
   I've seen her get progressively worse and it breaks my heart. This past week she presented herself at my employment and she was in tears. Crying because she knew she needed to be seen by the doctor but knowing she didn't have insurance and couldn't afford her incurring expenses. I did my best to reassure her that we would take care of her and then we'd work out the financial part of it.
She had developed severe open sores on her foot and they were badly infected. Oozing in fact. Her foot and part of her leg had begun to turn a black color. I knew immediately that this was very serious. She could lose her foot and possibly her leg.
   As I visited with her I felt compelled to do everything in my power to help her get financial assistance. I had empathy for her because I knew her situation and I also know that so many physicians won't even begin to see a person unless they have insurance. What a shame! I couldn't begin to imagine trying to get care my husband and his diabetes without having insurance. The cost is astronomical.
   What I'd like to get across on this blog is to please take care of yourself.  If not for you, for your loved ones.  I think it's so selfish of a person to not take it seriously.  (Just my own opinion of course.) It's not a fun experience watching diabetes slowly destroy someone’s body.

There are several things that a person can do to check for ulcer sores on their feet:

1. See your physician such as a podiatrist for regular foot check-ups.
2. Keep your toe nails clipped evenly so you aren't getting in-grown toenails.
3. Don't go barefoot, especially outside. Always wear some type of footwear.
4. Dry your feet well after a shower, especially in between the toes.
5. Don't smoke. Smoking can cause poor circulation in the feet and cause bad problems for them
.

Please take a look at some photos of foot ulcers caused by diabetes and if these don't make you want to take care of yourself I'm not sure what will. 




3 comments:

  1. That is an awesome wake up call for those with diabetes who don't take it serious and don't take care of themselves.

    Great blog!

    Your hubby
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hon..Thanks for doing your best to stick around for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes this is an amazing wake up call

    thank you so much

    ReplyDelete